Tofu 'Chicken' Nuggets
Photo, Erik Putz.
These plant-based nuggets are made with smoked tofu and pasta. Serve them with our homemade maple bbq sauce, just like your favourite fast food joint.
, such as rotini
1 210-g pkg
, preferably Sunrise
Maple BBQ Sauce
, for serving (recipe in Kitchen Tips)
- Cook pasta following package directions, until al dente, 8 to 9 min. Drain well, then cool slightly (do not rinse). Coarsely chop, then set aside.
- Break tofu into smaller pieces and place in a food processor. Whirl until very finely chopped. Sprinkle with psyllium husk, onion and garlic powders, and salt. Pulse a few times to combine. Add coarsely chopped pasta and pulse until mixture starts to clump together on one side of the bowl.
- Using damp hands, scoop heaping tbsps of tofu mixture and form into 1/2-in. thick ‘nugget’ shapes. You will have about 16 pieces.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add 1 tbsp oil, then half the nuggets. Cook until golden-brown, about 3 min per side. Set aside on a towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining 1 tbsp oil and nuggets.
- Let nuggets cool slightly to firm up, about 10 min, then serve with Maple BBQ Sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 22 g,
- 12 g,
- 4 g,
- 467 mg.