Tip: When grating the cauliflower, use the largest holes on the grater and grate just the flower part, not the stems. Any bigger pieces that break and fall in can be finely chopped by hand.
Madhur Jaffrey's spicy cauliflower omeletsBy Chatelaine
Served with toast or crusty bread and a salad, these omelets make a lovely, light lunch or supper.
- 4 tbsp peanut or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp whole brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 5-6 fresh curry leaves , finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp peeled and finely chopped shallots
- A 1-inch piece of fresh ginger , peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely grated cauliflower
- 1-2 fresh hot green chilies , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup finely diced tomato
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, add the mustard seeds. As soon as they pop, a matter of seconds, add the cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for a second or two, then add the curry leaves, if using (take care, as these will splutter), the shallots, ginger, cauliflower, chilies, and garam masala. Stir and fry for 3–4 minutes, until the mixture is lightly browned. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and black pepper. Stir and cook for a minute, then take off the heat.
- Break the eggs into two separate bowls and beat until frothy. Salt and pepper them lightly.
- Just before you wish to eat, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the cauliflower mixture. Stir and taste. If you want more salt, add it now.
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium nonstick frying pan and set over medium heat. Pour in one lot of beaten eggs and stir gently to scramble lightly, while tilting the pan to let the wet mixture flow to the edges. When slightly set, spread half the cauliflower mixture over half the omelet. Fold the plain half over it. Using a wide spatula, turn the omelet over and press down on it lightly. If no liquid egg oozes out, it is done. If not, keep over low heat and turn a few more times. Make the second omelet in the same way and serve hot.