Cinnamon-raisin swirl bread
1 h 30 min
- 8-g pkg active dry yeast , about 2 1/2 tsp
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar , or honey
- 3 cups warm milk , 105 to 115F
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for kneading
- 4 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , melted and cooled
FOR CINNAMON-RAISIN SWIRL:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 egg
- To make Classic sandwich bread:
Stir yeast with sugar and warm milk in the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Set aside for 10 min or until slightly frothy. Combine flour with salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir yeast mixture with paddle attachment at low speed for 1 min. Gradually add flour mixture while stirring, until combined, about 2 min. Replace paddle with dough hook. Add butter and knead on medium-low for 1 min. Increase speed to medium and knead 4 more min (stand mixer may move around the counter). Remove hook. Cover mixing bowl with a damp kitchen towel (not terry cloth) and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- To make Cinnamon-raisin swirl variation:
Stir 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 4 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside. Soak 2 cups raisins in hot tap water in a medium bowl. Let stand for 10 min, then drain well.
- Prepare dough as for Classic Sandwich Bread, but add raisins along with butter before kneading on medium-low for 1 min. After the first rise, punch and knead the dough for 1 min, then let rest for 5 min.
- Divide dough in half. Dust each portion with a little more flour. Roll each portion into a 12 × 9-in. rectangle. Beat 1 egg and brush all over surface of both rectangles. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar.
- Roll up each rectangle into a log, starting at the shorter end. Place logs seam-side down in 2 greased 9 × 5-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 375F until golden brown, about 50 min.
This dough is stickier than the plain version. Use a little extra flour when rolling it out.