Kitchen tip: This recipe makes enough for 8 hot dogs. We recommend the hot dogs be grilled and the buns toasted (for best results).
British onions and gravy hot dogBy Chatelaine
Bangers and mash, a classic of British pub cuisine, is always served with rich onion gravy. It's brilliant on hot dogs.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 sweet onions , thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 cups no-salt beef broth
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp malt vinegar
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- HEAT oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add onions, thyme sprigs and salt. Season with fresh pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown, 8 to 10 min. Remove thyme sprigs. Add flour and honey, and cook until flour has been absorbed. Stir in broth, Worcestershire, vinegar and mustard powder. Gently boil until mixture is thick but saucy, 3 to 5 min.
- SPOON gravy over hot dogs. Sprinkle with thyme.
Chatelaine Quickies: Gourmet hot dogs
[bc_video video_id=”5083590391001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving (topping only))
- 2 g,
- 14 g,
- 4 g,
- 1 g,
- 253 mg.