Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
1 to 2 tsp
old-fashioned large-flake oats
oat bran, or wheat germ
sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds or walnuts
unsweetened flaked coconut
maple syrup, or honey
vegetable oil, preferably canola
whole or ground flaxseed, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a small bowl, stir cinnamon with ginger and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mix oats with oat bran, almonds, coconut and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, stir syrup with oil until warm, 2 to 3 min. Remove from heat. Stir in almond extract and spice mix. Pour over oat mixture. Stir to coat.
- Turn onto baking sheet, spreading out as evenly as you can. Bake until golden for 30 to 45 min, stirring every 15 min. Remove from oven and stir in cranberries.
- Cool. Store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. Sprinkle with flaxseed before serving.