A more comforting use for leftover raisin bread would be hard to find.
Raisin bread pudding
4 to 6 servings
- 1 tbsp butter , at room temperature
- 6 to 8 slices raisin bread , at least one day old
- 1 unpeeled apple , thinly sliced (optional)
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla , or finely grated orange peel
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Lightly butter slices of bread. Cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes. They should measure about 6 cups.
- Place in a buttered 8 inch (2 L) square dish. Tuck in apples slices. Whisk eggs together with granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon (5 mL) cinnamon. Then gradually whisk in milk and vanilla. Pour over bread. Stir brown sugar and remaining cinnamon together, then sprinkle overtop of pudding.
- Bake, uncovered, in centre of preheated oven until golden and puffed, about 1 hour. Pudding is great served warm with ice cream.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10.3 g,
- 32 g,
- 8.7 g,