Rhubarb custard cups
Fill crisp phyllo cups with orange-scented custard, then crimson berry-rhubarb sauce. It's the ultimate sophisticated finale for spring dinners.
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup frozen raspberries , or 300-g pkg frozen rhubarb
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- orange zest , from half an orange
- 250 mL 10% cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat or spray a 12-cup muffin tin with oil. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board. Lightly brush with butter, then sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp sugar. Cover with another phyllo sheet. Line up all edges. Repeat brushing, sprinkling and layering with 2 more phyllo sheets, ending with sugar sprinkled overtop. Cut phyllo stack into 12 equal squares. Carefully place 1 square stack in muffin cup, pressing around bottom with your fingers to form a cup. Leave sides of phyllo upright. Do not fold over. Repeat with remaining phyllo square stacks. Prick bottoms of cups with a fork. Bake in centre of preheated oven until crispy and golden, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack.
- In a small saucepan, stir 2 tbsp sugar with custard powder until evenly mixed. Stir in orange peel. Gradually stir in about 1/4 cup cream until no lumps remain. Then gradually stir in remaining cream and vanilla. Place over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until gently boiling and thickened, 5 minutes. Pour into a medium-size bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- For sauce, place frozen berries in a large saucepan. Add rhubarb. Mix 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch and stir in. Place over medium heat. You don’t have to add any water as the fruit waters out as it cooks. If fruit is in a frozen block, it will take longer to cook. You will have to break it up with a spoon. Stir often until a thick sauce forms, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir constantly for the last few minutes of cooking. Reduce heat if sauce starts to stick. Spoon about 2 tsp custard into each phyllo cup. Top with rhubarb mixture.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare phyllo cups, custard and rhubarb sauce. Store cups, covered, at room temperature up to 4 days. Refrigerate sauce, covered, up to 3 days and custard up to 1 day. Fill just before serving.
More ways to cook with rhubarb
[brightcove id=’3452245569001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1.5 g,
- 22.8 g,
- 6.5 g,
- 1.2 g,
- 55 mg.