Hazelnut meringue cake
2 hrs 40 min
Lighter than air (and much more flavourful), tiers of hazelnut meringue are sandwiched with layers of whipped cream and fresh fruit. A luscious dessert after a big feast.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 large egg whites , at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 100 g pkg sliced hazelnuts
- 2 cups 35% cream
- fresh berries and red currants
- ARRANGE racks in top and bottom third of oven. Preheat to 275F (140C). Cut three 8-in. (20-cm) circles from parchment paper and place on two baking sheets. In a small bowl, stir 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar with cornstarch. Set aside.
- PLACE egg whites in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer on high, beat until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Gradually beat in remaining 1 cup (250 mL) sugar. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form when beaters are lifted. Then gradually beat in cornstarch mixture, salt, vinegar and vanilla. Using a spatula, gently fold in nuts.
- DIVIDE meringue mixture evenly between parchment circles. Using a spatula, spread to edges of circles. Smooth tops. Reduce oven temperature to 225F (110C). Bake meringues in top and bottom third of oven until crisp and dry, from 11/2 to 2 hours, rotating baking sheets halfway through. Turn off oven and let meringues dry in oven for 30 more min. Remove from oven and leave on baking sheets until completely cool. If making ahead, store in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 days.
- USING an electric mixer, whip cream until definite peaks form when beaters are lifted. Place one meringue round on cake plate. Spread one-third of cream over meringue just to edge. Scatter with one-third of berries. Top with another meringue round. Spread with half of remaining cream, then scatter with half the berries. Place another meringue round on top. Add the remaining cream. Decorate with remaining berries and top with currants. If not serving right away, refrigerate up to 2 hours. Sift a little icing sugar overtop just before serving.
- Tip: For light and airy meringues, separate eggs. Place whites in a large bowl. Bring to room temperature. Have all the ingredients measured out and on your counter before you begin.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 29 g,
- 19 g,
- 1 g,
- 88 mg.