Very vanilla gelato
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Freezing Time: 60 minutes
skim milk powder
- Whisk 2 cups milk with cream, sugar, skim milk powder and salt in a medium saucepan and set over medium-high. Using the tip of a sharp paring knife, split vanilla bean in half, lengthwise. Scrape seeds from bean. Add seeds to milk mixture. Bring to a gentle boil, about 10 min.
- Whisk remaining milk with cornstarch and vanilla in a small bowl. Gradually pour into first milk mixture, whisking until smooth. Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low. Continue simmering, stirring constantly, and adjusting heat as needed (do not let it boil) until it reduces to 3 cups, 15 to 18 min. Pour through a fine sieve into a metal bowl and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface to prevent skin from forming. Chill in freezer until cold, about 1 hour.
- Scrape cold mixture into a pre-frozen ice-cream-maker bowl and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, 30 to 45 min. Transfer to a covered container and freeze up to a month.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature until slightly softened, 10 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 23 g,
- 11 g,
- 140 mg.