Tip: To get the best results, freeze the ice-cream-maker bowl at least 15 hours before using. Give it a gentle shake. If there is no sound, the bowl is ready to use.
3 1/2 cups
- 3 cups 0.0325 milk
- 3/4 cup 0.35 cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder , preferably Ovaltine Classic Malt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla
- WHISK 2 cups milk with cream, sugar, malted milk powder, cocoa and salt in a medium saucepan and set over mediumhigh. Bring to a gentle boil, about 6 min.
- WHISK remaining milk with cornstarch and vanilla in a small bowl. Gradually pour into first milk mixture, whisking until smooth. Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low. Continue simmering, stirring constantly, and adjusting heat as needed (do not let it boil) until it reduces to 3 cups, 15 to 18 min. Pour through a fine sieve into a metal bowl and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface to prevent skin from forming. Chill in freezer until cold, about 1 hour.
- SCRAPE cold mixture into a pre-frozen ice-cream-maker bowl and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, 30 to 45 min. Transfer to a covered container and freeze up to a month.
- LET stand at room temperature until slightly softened before serving, about 10 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 34 g,
- 13 g,
- 1 g,
- 182 mg.