Flower cake toppersBy Chatelaine
- 1-pkg edible flowers , available in specialty grocery stores
- fresh mint
- 1 large egg , or 2 tbsp pasteurized egg whites
- 1 tsp orange-blossom water
- 1/4 cup superfine granulated sugar
- Beat egg whites lightly with orange-blossom water. Lay a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Pour sugar onto a plate. Using a small soft paintbrush, paint egg white mixture on flower petals and mint leaves, covering lightly but evenly. Sprinkle sugar all over flowers (or dip them) until nicely coated. (To properly preserve flowers and mint, coat them completely.) Place on parchment paper and let dry, uncovered, for 48 hours, then gently place on iced cakes. Extras can be stored in an airtight container for up to three months.