Smoky braised lentils with halloumiBy Chatelaine
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 carrots , thinly sliced
- 1 leek , (white and green part only), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dried green lentils , rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves , sliced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 900 mL no-salt vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale , stemmed and torn (9 cups)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 250-g pkg Halloumi cheese , cut into 8 rounds
- HEAT oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high. Add carrots and leek. Cook until leek is softened, 4 min. Add lentils, garlic, paprika, coriander and salt. Cook for 1 min, then add broth and 1 cup water. Boil, then simmer, covered, until lentils are almost tender, about 20 min.
- ADD kale and cook until lentils are tender, about 10 min. Stir in lemon juice and pepper. Reserve 2 cups for lentil cakes with harissa yogurt.
- SEAR halloumi in a frying pan over medium, until golden, 1 min per side. Serve over lentils.
Cheese grating tips
Nutrition (per serving)
- 24 g,
- 40 g,
- 3 g,
- 9 g,
- 261 mg.