Photo Credit: Photo, Angela Liddon
Excerpted from Oh She Glows Every Day: Quick and Simply Satisfying Plant-Based Recipes by Angela Liddon. Copyright © 2016 Glo Bakery Corporation. Photography by Ashley McLaughlin. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
For the filled
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Lightly oil a 3- or 4-quart (3 or 4 L) casserole dis
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover by a couple of inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and return to the pot. Add the minced garlic, garlic powder, salt, and butter. Mash until smooth, adding almond milk as needed to achieve a spreadable consistency. Set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the filling In an extra-large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks, garlic, and a couple of pinches of salt. Stir to combine and sauté until the leeks are softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, stir, and increase the heat to medium-high. Sauté until much of the liquid released by the mushrooms has cooked off, 10 to 13 minutes. (This is important, as it ensures the filling won’t be too watery.)
- Add the bag of frozen vegetables (no need to thaw beforehand) and sauté for a few minutes, until heated through. Stir in the potato starch until combined.
- Add the broth and wine and stir to combine. Simmer the mixture over medium to high heat until it thickens slightly. Add the red pepper flakes (if using), salt, rosemary, thyme, and lentils. Sauté for a couple of minutes longer.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared casserole dish and spread it out evenl
- Using a spoon (and a lightly oiled hand, if necessary), spread the potatoes out over the filling in an even layer. Sprinkle several dashes of paprika and some thyme leaves all over the top of the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, then switch the oven to broil and broil for 4 to 7 minutes, until bubbling around the edges. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Serve with Cozy Gravy and (hopefully) any leftover wine! This will keep wrapped in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.