Updated Jan 3, 2020Chatelaine
strip loin or sirloin steaks, about 400 g, very thinly sliced
canola oil, divided
large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 398-mL can
baby corn, drained and cut into 1-in. pieces
- Sauce: Whisk soy sauce with sugar, hoisin, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and 1/3 cup water in a small bowl.
- Coat beef with 1/4 cup soy mixture in a medium bowl. Stir cornstarch into remaining soy mixture. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 1 tsp canola oil, then half of the beef. Stir-fry until no pink remains, 2 to 3 min. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef. Transfer to same plate.
- Add remaining 2 tsp canola oil to pan, then carrots. Cook, adding 1/4 cup water, if needed, until tender-crisp, about 2 min. Stir in corn and remaining 3/4 cup soy mixture.
- Return beef and any juices to pan. Cook until sauce thickens, about 1 min. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with brown rice.
Switch It Up: Instead of steak, use 350 g extra-firm tofu. Sauté tofu slices in 1 tbsp canola oil, 1 min per side, before adding marinade. Trade carrots and baby corn for 300 g baby bok choy and 1 sliced red pepper.