Tempeh BologneseBy Chatelaine
Elevate your next pasta dinner with crumbly tempeh, the perfect blend of bell peppers, mushroom and garlic, and aromatic basil for garnish.
- 375 g whole-grain pappardelle pasta , (or other pasta)
- 4 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup diced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup diced orange or yellow bell peppers , about 1 small
- 250 g tempeh , crumbled
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 1/2 cups strained tomatoes , or passata
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Grated plant-based parmesan-style cheese , such as Violife (optional)
- Thinly sliced basil , (optional)
- Hot red pepper flakes , (optional)
- Cook pasta following package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium. Add oil, then onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their liquid, about 4 min. Add bell peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 min.
- Add tempeh, cumin, paprika and oregano. Season with pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tempeh is cooked through, about 5 min.
- Meanwhile, reserve 1/4 cup pasta water, then drain pasta and set aside.
- Stir tomatoes, soy sauce and reserved 1/4 cup pasta water into bolognese. Simmer for 5 min.
- Divide pasta amongst plates. Top with sauce, then plant-based cheese, basil and pepper flakes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 32 g,
- 81 g,
- 15 g,
- 12 g,
- 590 mg.