Sweet potato gnudi with chanterelles
Photo, Erik Putz.
Gnudi are little dumplings that are like ravioli without the pasta case. After many tests, we discovered that instant mashed-potato flakes make the lightest, fluffiest gnudi we’ve ever tasted.
1 1/2 cups
2 14-g pkgs
instant mashed potato flakes
, (about 600g total)
1 1/2 tsp
1 1/2 cups
finely chopped fresh
- POUR 3/4 cup hot water over chanterelle mushrooms in a medium bowl. Set aside, stirring occasionally, until ready to use. Stir remaining 3/4 cup hot water with instant mashed potatoes in a large bowl until combined. Set aside to cool.
- PRICK unpeeled sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place on a plate. Microwave on high until tender, turning halfway through, 8 to 10 min. Let stand until they are cool enough to handle, about 10 min.
- CUT potatoes in half lengthwise, and scoop out flesh into a medium bowl. Using a hand blender, purée until completely smooth.
- MEASURE out 1 cup sweet potato purée and stir into bowl with mashed potatoes. (Keep and refrigerate any remaining sweet potato purée for another use.) Stir in egg yolks, ginger and salt. Stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough is combined but sticky. Scrape half of dough into a large resealable zip-lock bag.
- BOIL a large pot of water over medium- high. Cut 1 in. from the tip of zip-lock bag. Gently squeeze bag to pipe dough directly into boiling water, at the edge of the pot. Use a paring knife to cut off 1-in. pieces of dough. Do not crowd pot. You will need to cook gnudi in 3 to 4 batches. Cook until gnudi float to the surface, 2 to 3 min. Scoop out gnudi with a slotted spoon and keep on a plate. Continue with remaining dough.
- MELT butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add chanterelles and any remaining mushroom liquid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid evaporates and butter turns foamy and smells nutty, about 6 min. Add cooked gnudi and sage. Cook gently until warmed through, about 1 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 57 g,
- 16 g,
- 4 g,
- 688 mg.
- Excellent source of