Updated Dec 13, 2018Chatelaine
- COMBINE ham hock, split peas, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaves in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour in broth and water and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- REMOVE ham hock and shred meat using 2 forks. Discard bone and fat. Return 2 cups ham to the soup. Reserve remaining ham for another use.
- STIR in parsley. Serve with crusty baguette and a green salad.
Split Pea And Ham Soup Kitchen Tips:
- Classic French-Canadian split pea and ham soup is comfort in a bowl, perfect for cold nights. Freeze leftovers for a simple, satisfying meal in a pinch. It’s nutritious and budget-friendly, and prep takes only a few minutes.
- The split peas continue to break down as the soup cools and then is reheated. If you prefer a thicker soup, increase cooking time to 9 or 10 hours.
- Freeze reserved ham and use in a quick meal later on. It’s great in a ham and cheese frittata or omelette, a quick pasta, minestrone soup or stir-fried rice.
NutritionCalories 135, Protein 12 g, Carbohydrates 18 g, Fat 2 g, Fibre 3 g, Sodium 519 mg. Excellent source of vitamin A
Chatelaine Quickies: Easy veggie soup