Updated Apr 9, 2018Chatelaine
large onion, thickly sliced
garlic cloves, crushed
outside round beef roast, cut in half lengthwise
1 cup plus 1 tbsp
white vinegar, divided
granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp
- SCATTER onion slices and garlic in bottom of slow cooker insert.
- HEAT oil in a large frying pan over medium-high. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper, then add to pan and brown on all sides, about 2 min per side. Lay on top of onions and garlic.
- WHISK 2 cups water, soy, 1 tbsp of the vinegar, 2 tbsp of the sugar, pepper flakes in a medium bowl, then pour over beef. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- PICKLES: Combine 2/3 cup water, remaining 1 cup of the vinegar and 1/4 cup of the sugar and salt in a large saucepan over high. Bring to a boil until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Stir in carrots and radish. Let cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
- TRANSFER beef to a large bowl and tear into large shreds with 2 forks. Skim off and discard any fat from juices. Transfer juices to a frying pan and boil on high until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, 10 to 12 min. Stir in shredded beef, 1/2 cup of the tahini and sesame oil. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Stir remaining 2 tbsp of the tahini, 2 tbsp water and 1 tbsp lemon juice in a small bowl. Serve beef and pickles on lettuce leaves and more sesame seeds., if desired. Drizzle with tahini sauce if needed.
NutritionCalories 303, Protein 20 g, Carbohydrates 16 g, Fat 18 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 1023 mg. Excellent source of Vitamin B12
Watch: How to make slow cooker meatballs