Shrimp and corn empanadasBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 30 min
Ditch the sugar right now! We're all about the savoury treats.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 red finger chili , seeds discarded and finely chopped (1 tbsp) or 2 tsp finely chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 cup peeled and diced baking potato , (1/3-in. cubes)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 170 g frozen small cooked shrimp , thawed and finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn , thawed
- 1 batch empanada dough , (2 discs)
- 1 egg , beaten
- HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add oil, then onion and garlic. Cook until onion starts to soften, about 3 min. Stir in chili, potato, water and salt. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 8 to 10 min. Stir in shrimp and corn. Cook until liquid evaporates, 1 min. Season with fresh pepper. Remove from heat.
- PREHEAT oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- ROLL 1 disc empanada dough until 1/16-in. thick. Use a 5-in. cutter to cut out circles. Repeat with remaining disc. Gather and re-roll scraps.
- PLACE 1 heaping tbsp of filling on each round. Brush edges with beaten egg and fold dough over the filling, forming a half-circle. Press to seal. Crimp edges. Arrange empanadas on their sides on prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg. 5. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 min. Serve warm or cool, or freeze for up to 2 weeks. Reheat in a 350F oven for 15 min.
Chatelaine Quickies: Shrimp and Feta Linguine
Nutrition (per piece)
- 5 g,
- 14 g,
- 8 g,
- 1 g,
- 99 mg.