Roasted Tomato CornbreadBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 10 min
- 454 g cocktail tomatoes , halved crosswise
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil , divided
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 3/4 cup medium-grind cornmeal , (126 g)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour , (90 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 3.25% milk
- 1/4 cup smooth ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 425F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Toss tomatoes with 1 tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt on prepared baking sheet. Arrange tomatoes cut-side up. Roast until tomatoes are very soft and skins are just starting to brown, 20 to 25 min. Flip tomatoes over (this will help release any liquid from tomatoes). Set aside.
- Grease an 8-in. cast iron frying pan. Whisk cornmeal with flour, baking powder, rosemary, pepper and remaining 1/2 tsp salt in a medium bowl. Whisk egg with milk, ricotta and remaining 4 tbsp oil in a large bowl until combined. Fold in cornmeal mixture and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Arrange tomatoes, cut-side up, in a single layer on top of batter, firmly pressing down until tops of tomatoes are level with batter.
- Bake until cornbread is browned around edges and a cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean, 25 to 30 min. Serve warm or cool to room temperature, about 1 hr.
Don’t have a cast iron pan? Bake in an 8-in. round cake pan. Grease and line bottom of pan with parchment; increase baking time by 5 min.