Kitchen Tip: Seek out your local butcher for a beautiful pork belly roast.
Roast pork belly with clementine and star aniseBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
3 hrs 15 min
6 to 8
Basted every 30 minutes with savoury citrus-and-spice pan sauce, this pork roast is an dinner party superstar.
- 1 1.5-kg pork belly roast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 onions , coarsely chopped (2 1/4 cups)
- 5 garlic cloves , sliced
- 1 1-in. piece ginger , sliced
- 3 star anise
- 1 Thai red chili
- 5 clementine oranges , unpeeled and halved
- 900 mL sodium-reduced chicken broth , divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Using a sharp knife, score skin of pork belly roast in a 1-in. diamond pattern, but not all the way through to the meat. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- HEAT oil in a large roasting pan over medium-high. Add onions, garlic, ginger, star anise and red chili and cook, stirring, until onions are softened, about 3 min. Push onion mixture to sides of pan and reduce heat to medium.
- ADD pork, skin-side down, and sear, rotating every 2 min until golden and onion mixture is light golden, 4 to 5 min. Flip pork skin-side up and stir in clementines, 3 1/2 cups broth, water, sugar, soy sauce and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- ROAST pork in oven for 1 hr. Baste with pan juices every 30 min until skin is deep golden and crispy and meat is fork tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hr. Transfer roast to a plate and let rest for 15 min before slicing across the grain.
- SKIM fat from pan. Strain juices and return to pan with remaining broth. Bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from pan bottom 2 min. Serve with roast.
Chatelaine Basics: How to segment an orange
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 11 g,
- 90 g,
- 999 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B12