Updated Jan 9, 2018Chatelaine
1 1/2 tsp
onions, coarsely chopped (2 1/4 cups)
garlic cloves, sliced
piece ginger, sliced
Thai red chili
clementine oranges, unpeeled and halved
sodium-reduced chicken broth, divided
1 1/2 cups
packed brown sugar
sodium-reduced soy sauce
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Using a sharp knife, score skin of pork belly roast in a 1-in. diamond pattern, but not all the way through to the meat. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- HEAT oil in a large roasting pan over medium-high. Add onions, garlic, ginger, star anise and red chili and cook, stirring, until onions are softened, about 3 min. Push onion mixture to sides of pan and reduce heat to medium.
- ADD pork, skin-side down, and sear, rotating every 2 min until golden and onion mixture is light golden, 4 to 5 min. Flip pork skin-side up and stir in clementines, 3 1/2 cups broth, water, sugar, soy sauce and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- ROAST pork in oven for 1 hr. Baste with pan juices every 30 min until skin is deep golden and crispy and meat is fork tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hr. Transfer roast to a plate and let rest for 15 min before slicing across the grain.
- SKIM fat from pan. Strain juices and return to pan with remaining broth. Bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from pan bottom 2 min. Serve with roast.
Kitchen Tip: Seek out your local butcher for a beautiful pork belly roast.
NutritionCalories 936, Protein 19 g, Carbohydrates 11 g, Fat 90 g, Sodium 999 mg. Excellent source of vitamin B12
Chatelaine Basics: How to segment an orange