Raisin and potato empanadasBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 20 min
Ditch the sugar right now! We're all about the savoury treats.
- 3 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup peeled and diced baking potato , (1/3-in. cubes)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 hard-boiled eggs , finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1 batch empanada dough , (2 discs)
- 1 egg , beaten
- HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 1 tbsp oil, then onion, garlic and cumin. Cook until onion starts to soften, 3 min. Stir in potato, raisins, water and salt. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 8 to 10 min. Stir in eggs, parsley and remaining 2 tbsp oil. Season with fresh pepper. Remove from heat.
- PREHEAT oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- ROLL 1 disc empanada dough until 1/16-in. thick. Use a 5-in. cutter to cut out circles. Repeat with remaining disc. Gather and re-roll scraps.
- PLACE 1 heaping tbsp of filling on each round. Brush edges with beaten egg and fold dough over the filling, forming a half-circle. Press to seal. Crimp edges. Arrange empanadas on their sides on prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg.
- BAKE until golden brown, 30 to 35 min. Serve potato empanadas warm or cool, or freeze for up to 2 weeks. Reheat in a 350F oven for 15 min.
Easy way to peel and mince garlic
Nutrition (per piece)
- 4 g,
- 14 g,
- 10 g,
- 1 g,
- 114 mg.