Rack of lamb with carrots and carrot top pesto
Photo, Erik Putz.
It's peak season for endless varieties of fruit and veg, and when the produce is this good, we say let the ingredients shine. Here's a simple way to make the most of a farmer's market haul.
, with stem (about 4 bunches)
racks of lamb
, about 16 ribs, at room temperature
finely chopped toasted
- POSITION racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 450F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Set a rack on another baking sheet.
- TRIM carrots, leaving a bit of stem and reserving 1 cup finely chopped carrot tops. Scrub or peel carrots, then toss with 1 tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt on prepared sheet. Roast in bottom third of oven, until golden and tender, 25 to 30 min.
- PLACE lamb, fat-side up, on rack. Score fat in a diamond pattern. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Roast in top third of oven until a thermometer inserted into centre of meat reads 140F for medium-rare, 25 to 30 min.
- WHIRL reserved carrot tops with garlic, walnuts, parmesan, mint, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor. With the motor running, gradually add ½ cup olive oil through spout. Drizzle over roasted carrots and serve with lamb.
- Prep tip: Substitute parsley for carrot tops if you’re having trouble finding them.
Whip up a batch of basil pesto
Nutrition (per serving)
- 45 g,
- 19 g,
- 53 g,
- 6 g,
- 771 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B6