Potato and chorizo empanadas
This article has not been rated yet.
Photo, Roberto Caruso.
Ditch the sugar right now! We're all about the savoury treats.
, finely diced (1 cup)
peeled and diced baking
roasted red pepper
, (2 discs)
- HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add chorizo and cook until slightly crisp, about 2 min. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion starts to soften, 3 min. Stir in potato and water. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 8 to 10 min. Season with fresh pepper. Stir in red pepper and remove from heat.
- PREHEAT oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- ROLL 1 disc empanada dough until 1/16-in. thick. Use a 5-in. cutter to cut out circles. Repeat with remaining disc. Gather and re-roll scraps to cut out remaining circles.
- PLACE 1 heaping tbsp of filling on each round. Brush edges with beaten egg and fold dough over the filling, forming a half-circle. Press to seal. Crimp edges. Arrange empanadas on their sides on prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg.
- BAKE until golden brown, 30 to 35 min. Serve chorizo empanadas warm or cool, or freeze up to 2 weeks. Reheat in a 350F oven for 15 min.
Nutrition (per piece)
- 4 g,
- 13 g,
- 10 g,
- 1 g,
- 123 mg.