Excerpted from Good Food, Good Life. Copyright © 2015 Curtis Stone. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Random House of Canada Limited a Penguin Random House Company. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Curtis Stone's pork burger with spicy ginger picklesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
You’re not gonna find this Hawaiian-style burger, with kimchi mayonnaise and ginger pickles, on any drive-thru menu. Mix up a little extra kimchi mayo for a flavourful dipping sauce if you’re serving the burgers with fries. - Curtis Stone
- 2 scallions , trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 3/4-in. piece fresh ginger , peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound freshly ground pork , (not lean)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup kimchi , drained and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup aioli , or purchased mayonnaise
- Kosher salt
- 4 hamburger buns , split
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Spicy Ginger Pickles , recipe link below
- 1 cup (not packed) sprigs of cilantro
- PREPARE a grill for medium-high heat.
- IN a medium bowl, mix the scallions, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil.
- IN a large bowl, mix the pork with 2 tablespoons of the ginger-garlic mixture. Form the mixture into 4 patties that are slightly larger than the buns.
- WHISK the brown sugar and soy sauce into the remaining ginger-garlic mixture; set aside. In a small bowl, mix the kimchi and aïoli. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
- GRILL the patties for 3 to 4 minutes, or until grill marks form on the first side. Turn the patties over, generously brush with some of the soy sauce mixture, and continue grilling for 3 to 4 more minutes, or until the patties are cooked through but still juicy.
- MEANWHILE, lightly oil the cut sides of the buns with the canola oil and grill the buns, cut side down, for about 2 minutes, or until they are toasted and grill marks have formed.
- SPREAD the kimchi mayonnaise over the bun bottoms. Top with the patties, then generously brush more of the soy sauce mixture over the patties. Divide the Spicy Ginger Pickles among the burgers and top with the cilantro sprigs. Cover with the bun tops and serve.