Polenta with mushrooms and fried eggBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
This dish is deceptively simple, and takes advantage of yesterday's leftovers.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 fennel bulb , finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rerserved cooked mushrooms , (from mushroom salad)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups milk , divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 eggs
- reserved fennel fronds , (from mushroom salad)
- MELT butter in a large frying pan over medium. Add fennel (reserved from mushroom salad with fennel and goat cheese) and cook until tender, about 10 min. Stir in mushrooms until warm, 1 min. Stir in lemon juice. Transfer to a plate.
- BOIL 2 cups milk, water and salt in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in cornmeal and simmer until thickened, 2 to 3 min. Remove from heat and let stand for 2 min. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup milk and parmesan.
- RETURN frying pan to burner over medium. Add oil. Crack eggs into pan. Cook, covered, until whites are set but yolks are still runny, 2 to 3 min.
- DIVIDE polenta among 4 plates. Top with mushroom mixture, then egg. Sprinkle with fennel fronds.
The three best ways to separate an egg
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 38 g,
- 15 g,
- 4 g,
- 626 mg.