Parsnip, apple and leek soupBy Chatelaine
1 h 10 min
There are many wonderful layers of subtle flavours to this soup. Make it up to 2 days in advance and reheat, thinning with more broth if desired.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 leeks , white parts only, sliced
- 4 turnips or parsnips , peeled, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 900-mL carton vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 large yellow potatoes , cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 gala apples , peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup 10% cream
- 1 parsnip or small turnip , peeled and thinly peeled into ribbons
- 1 tsp canola oil
- MELT butter in a heavy pot over medium. Add leeks and sauté until tender, about 5 min. Stir in parsnips and cook, 5 min. Add broth, water, potatoes, apples, parsley and thyme. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 30 min.
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Toss parsnip ribbons with oil. Arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake in centre of oven until golden and crispy, 8 to 10 min. (If using turnip, add 2 to 4 more min.)
- PURÉE soup in batches in a blender. Return soup to pot. Stir in cream. Season with fresh pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsnip chips.
How to make vegetable ribbons
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 31 g,
- 8 g,
- 4 g,
- 426 mg.
- Excellent source of