Paneer curry with potatoes and spinachBy Chatelaine
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 400-g pkg paneer , cut into 3/4-in. cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 1 serrano chili , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 796-mL can diced tomatoes
- 312-g container baby spinach , (about 16 cups)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- COMBINE water and rice in a medium saucepan. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 min.
- HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add canola oil, then paneer cubes. Cook, stirring often, until golden, 5 min. Transfer to a plate. Add olive oil to pan, then Yukon Gold potatoes. Cook until golden, 8 to 10 min. Add onion, serrano pepper, ginger, garlic garam masala, coriander, cumin and salt. Cook until onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 min. Stir in can of diced tomatoes with its juices. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until most of liquid is absorbed and potatoes are cooked through, about 10 min. Stir in baby spinach and paneer. Cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 min.
- DIVIDE rice among 4 bowls. Top each serving with paneer mixture and 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt.
Paneer is a mild-flavoured fresh cheese commonly used in Indian cuisine. It has a similar texture to extra-firm tofu.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 37 g,
- 28 g,
- 6 g,
- 631 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A