Onion quiche in a potato crustBy Chatelaine
1 h 20 min
We first came up with this idea for a friend who loves quiche but is allergic to gluten, and it’s a house favourite for everyone now.
- 3 unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes , grated (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 onions , thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup 35% cream , or milk
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan , divided
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Brush a 9-in. pie plate with oil.
- PLACE grated potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Transfer to a bowl and stir in egg white and 1/4 tsp salt until combined. Press evenly onto bottom and sides of pie plate. Bake in centre of oven until golden, about 30 min.
- MELT butter in a large frying pan over medium-high. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 8 min. Reduce heat to medium if they start to burn. Stir in peppers and garlic. Cook for 2 more min. Remove from heat.
- WHISK 4 eggs with cream, 1/2 cup parmesan and remaining 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl. Season with fresh pepper. Stir in onion mixture until combined. Scrape into warm potato crust.
- REDUCE oven temp to 350F. Bake in centre of oven until quiche is set, about 35 min. Sprinkle quiche with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 24 g,
- 13 g,
- 3 g,
- 448 mg.