- For the balsamic reduction: In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar to a low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the vinegar, stirring often, for 20 to 30 minutes, until it has reduced by two-thirds. Keep an eye on the vinegar to avoid burning it and reduce the heat if necessary. You should have about 1/3 cup (75 mL) of reduced balsamic vinegar left in the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. Transfer the reduction to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 month. The reduction will thicken and firm up once chilled. Allow it to come to room temperature before using.
- For the salad: Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Wrap each beet individually in a piece of foil and place them on a baking Roast the beets for 45 to 90 minutes, depend- ing on the size of the beets, until a fork easily slides into the larg- est beet. Let cool for about 20 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300F (150C). Toast the hazelnuts in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the skins have darkened and are almost falling Place them on a damp dish- towel and rub vigorously until most of the skins fall off. Discard the skins and roughly chop the hazelnuts. Set aside.
- Carefully unwrap the beets and trim the Under cold running water, push the beet skins off with your fingers. Discard the skins.
- Thinly slice the beets into 1/8-inch-thick (3-mm) rounds and arrange 7 to 12 beet slices on each of 3 plates
- Sprinkle a handful of toasted hazelnuts on top of each plate of Add a drizzle of Balsamic Reduction and a drizzle of oil. Scatter the leaves from 1 to 2 sprigs thyme all over the beets on each plate, and serve.
Tip: To save some time, cook the beets the day before and refrigerate them until needed. When ready to use, slice the beets and serve cold or at room temperature.
Excerpted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon. Copyright © 2014 Glo Bakery Corporation. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved/