Excerpted from At My Table by Nigella Lawson. Copyright © 2017 by Nigella Lawson. Photography copyright © 2017 by Jonathan Lovekin. Published byAppetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Nigella Lawson's carrots with fennel and harissaBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6
This has perfectly balanced oomph: the sweetness of the carrots, that particular herbal freshness of fennel, the mellow citrus tang of clementine (though the zest of half an orange, along with 2 tablespoons of juice, would do), and the aromatic heat of harissa.
- 1 lb carrots , peeled and cut into approx. 1 1/2 inch long batons
- 1 lb fennel , trimmed, halved from top to bottom, then cut into approx. 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 2 tbsp regular olive oil
- 1 clementine , finely grated zest, plus 2 tbsp juice
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes or kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the prepared carrots and fennel into a large bowl. Add the harissa, oil, clementine zest and juice, and teaspoon of salt and toss well to combine.
- Tip into a shallow roasting pan, scraping out the bowl well, give a final toss to mix, spread out in the pan and roast for 40–50 minutes – giving a stir after 30 – until the carrot is just cooked through and the fennel soft. Taste, and add more salt (or not) as desired.