Enjoyed this mixed bean salad recipe? Try more of our favourite summer salad recipes.
Best Mixed Bean SaladBy Chatelaine
Headed to a barbecue this summer? Our mixed bean salad recipe might give the burgers and hot dogs a run for their money.
- 2 cups yellow beans , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 2 cups green beans , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 2 cups sugar snap peas , halved
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 finely chopped red onion
- 1 540-mL can red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 398-mL can black-eyed peas , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- COOK yellow and green beans in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 min. Add snap peas during the last 2 min. Drain and immerse in ice water. Drain, then pat dry.
- WHISK oil, vinegar, garlic, Dijon, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add onion and let stand for 10 min. Add cooked and canned beans and toss until coated. Stir in parsley. Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hr.
Chatelaine Basics: How to blanch vegetables
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 24 g,
- 10 g,
- 7 g,
- 821 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B6