Excerpted from Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites. Text and photographs copyright © 2017 Deb Perelman. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Manhattan-Style Clams With FregolaBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
- 4 ounces (115 g) thick-cut bacon , diced
- 1/2 large Spanish onion , diced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper , diced
- 2 medium celery stalks , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes , in juice
- 1 cup (125 mL) chicken stock , or seafood stock
- hot pepper flakes , to taste
- 1/2 cup (90 g) fregola Pasta , dried
- 24 (1-2 kg) littleneck clams , rinsed
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsely , roughly chopped
- Scatter the bacon in the bottom of a medium-sized Dutch oven or a deep 4-quart sauté pan, and set over medium heat. Let the bacon warm and sizzle in place; then, when it begins to brown, stir it around, continuing until it is browned and the fat has rendered out, about 5 minutes.
- If there is extra, discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings and add the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook for 1 more minute; then stir in the oregano, tomatoes (with juices), and broth, scraping up any stuck bits, and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the fregola, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stop here if you are prepping the soup ahead of time. If serving immediately, stir in the clams and simmer, cov- ered, stirring occasionally, until the clams open wide, 8 to 10 minutes. (Discard any clams that have not opened after 10 minutes.)
- Season with salt and black pepper, and add the parsley.