Excerpted from Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites. Text and photographs copyright © 2017 Deb Perelman. Published byAppetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
4 ounces (115 g)
dried oregano leaves
, in juice
1 cup (125 mL)
, or seafood stock
hot pepper flakes
, to taste
1/2 cup (90 g)
24 (1-2 kg)
, to taste
, roughly chopped
- Scatter the bacon in the bottom of a medium-sized Dutch oven or a deep 4-quart sauté pan, and set over medium heat. Let the bacon warm and sizzle in place; then, when it begins to brown, stir it around, continuing until it is browned and the fat has rendered out, about 5 minutes.
- If there is extra, discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings and add the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook for 1 more minute; then stir in the oregano, tomatoes (with juices), and broth, scraping up any stuck bits, and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the fregola, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stop here if you are prepping the soup ahead of time. If serving immediately, stir in the clams and simmer, cov- ered, stirring occasionally, until the clams open wide, 8 to 10 minutes. (Discard any clams that have not opened after 10 minutes.)
- Season with salt and black pepper, and add the parsley.
Excerpted from Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites. Text and photographs copyright © 2017 Deb Perelman. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.