Leek and pancetta galetteBy Chatelaine
1 h 15 min
It's peak season for endless varieties of vegetables, and when the produce is this good, we say let the ingredients shine. Here's a simple way to make the most of a farmer's market haul.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter , cubed
- 2 to 3 tbsp ice-cold water
- 1 egg , beaten with
- 1 tsp water
- 4 rounds of pancetta , thinly sliced
- 228 g oyster mushrooms , torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 leeks , (white and pale green parts only), sliced into 1/4-in. rounds
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150 g Boursin , with garlic and herbs, crumbled and divided into 8 portions
- POSITION rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- WHIRL flour with salt in a food processor. Pulse in butter until crumbs form. With motor still running, add ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, through spout. Continue whirling until dough comes together. Form into 4 discs. Wrap each with plastic wrap and chill in fridge, 10 min.
- HEAT a large frying pan over medium. Add pancetta and cook, flipping halfway, until crisp, 4 to 5 min. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add mushrooms and leeks. Cook until brown, about 3 min. Add wine and salt. Cook until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 5 min. Transfer to a shallow bowl and refrigerate for 15 min.
- ROLL out 1 pastry disc into an 8-in. circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to baking sheet. Spread 1 portion of Boursin over pastry, leaving a 1 1/2-in. border.
- SCATTER one-fourth of cooled leek mixture over Boursin, then sprinkle with 1 more portion Boursin. Fold pastry over, just to cover edge of filling. Centre of galette should not be covered with pastry. Brush pastry with egg wash. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Bake until tops are golden, about 35 min. Cool for 5 min. Break each pancetta round in half and tuck 2 halves into each galette.
- Prep tip: Cut leeks into rounds and soak them in a bowl of cold water. Swish leeks in water; grit will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Scoop out leeks.
Easiest ways to clean leeks
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g,
- 41 g,
- 44 g,
- 4 g,
- 850 mg.