Herbed Parker House rolls
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp traditional dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 2 1/4 cups to 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried herbs , such as chives, basil, oregano, parsley or a mixture (optional)
- Measure out water and stir in sugar until dissolved. Sprinkle yeast over top and, without stirring, let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Then, stir until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in microwave, uncovered on high, until bubbles are just starting to appear and milk is hot, from 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Add cold butter and stir until melted. In a large mixing bowl, stir 2-1/4 cups flour with salt and herbs. When blended, make a well in centre. Add milk mixture. Stir just until flour begins to moisten, then pour in yeast mixture. Stir vigorously until combined. Stir in some of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed, to form a soft dough. Form into a ball.
- Knead dough on floured counter. Sprinkle more flour as needed. Knead until smooth and springy, from 5 to 7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Lightly butter 12 muffin cups. Cut dough into quarters. Then, cut each quarter into three pieces. Form into balls and, with smoothest side up, place in muffin cups. Let rise, uncovered, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake risen rolls in centre of preheated oven, about 16 to 18 minutes. Serve warm. Or store in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3.1 g,
- 19.4 g,
- 2.4 g,