Hawaiian-pizza sandwich with watercress saladBy Chatelaine
Give your grilled cheese a little island flavour tonight. The juicy rings of pineapple and crisp slices of bacon will turn it into a satisfying new favourite.
- 2 oranges
- 1 large bunch watercress
- 1 avocado , cut into thin wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 strips bacon
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 cup grated mozarella cheese
- 4 rings of pineapple
- 1 plum tomato , thinly sliced
- 8 large leaves of basil
- SALAD: Slice peel from top and bottom of oranges. Cut off and discard remaining peel, including white pith, so flesh is showing. Cut out segments into a large bowl. Squeeze 2 tbsp juice from remaining pulp into small bowl. Trim and discard tough stems from watercress. Wash, then pat dry. Add to orange segments along with avocado wedges. Whisk reserved orange juice with olive oil, white-wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey and salt. Drizzle over salad.
- SANDWICH: Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 2 min per side. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Reserve fat.
- LAY 4 bread slices on the counter. Sprinkle mozzarella and chili flakes over bread slices, then divide pineapple, tomato, basil and bacon over cheese. Sandwich with remaining 4 slices white bread.
- BRUSH reserved bacon fat on both sides of sandwiches. Place 2 sandwiches in same pan and cook over medium-low until golden brown, about 1 min per side. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 58 g,
- 38 g,
- 8 g,
- 843 mg.
- Excellent source of