Produced by Irene Ngo.
Photography by Maya Visnyei. Food styling by Michael Elliott. Prop styling by Catherine Doherty. Makeup and hair by Sophie Hsin. Wardrobe by Space Vintage. Creative direction by Sun Ngo.
, very thinly sliced
, such as Strub's, thinly sliced into rounds
2 1/2 cups
, (300 g), divided
, (120 g)
- To make bread: Stir 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, salt and yeast in
a large bowl. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water until blended. The dough will look wet and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic. Let dough rest at room temperature for at least 12 hours, preferably 18, until dotted with bubbles. (If your kitchen is cold, let it rest in your microwave.)
- Sprinkle your counter with 1/4 cup flour. Transfer dough to counter, then fold dough over itself a few times, pulling the outer edges up and into the centre. It will be very soft. Flip the dough over and place onto flour, seam-side down. Cover loosely with same plastic wrap, and flip the bowl upside down over dough to cover. Set aside for 2 hrs.
- Position rack in bottom third of oven, and place heavy 6 to 8 L stainless-steel or enamel pot on rack. Preheat to 450F at least 30 min before dough is ready.
- Transfer dough onto a large piece of parchment. Gently fold the top edge of dough over itself to the centre of the loaf. Repeat around the edges, working in a clockwise direction, until you form a round loaf. (Don’t handle it too much.) Carefully remove pot from oven and place on a heatproof surface. Carefully transfer parchment with dough into hot pot. Cover with lid and bake 30 min. Remove lid and continue baking until top of bread is golden brown, 15 to 20 min more. Remove bread to a rack and let cool slightly.
- Slice warm loaf into 1/2-in.- thick slices. Arrange 8 slices on your counter. Brush olive oil over tops of slices. Flip, then spread mayo on slices. Layer half of the bread with cheese, onion and pickles. Sandwich with remaining bread, oil side out.
- Heat a very large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add sandwiches. Place a heavy lid over sandwiches to weigh them down. Cook until golden and crisp, about 2 min per side. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 14 g,
- 56 g,
- 23 g,
- 4 g,
- 1148 mg.
You can also use a store-bought loaf.