Love this gnocco fritto recipe? Find more of our favourite cocktail party appetizers here.
Gnocco FrittoBy Chatelaine
Packed with flavour, texture and festive colour, this (mostly) store-bought spread proves that shortcuts can be an indulgent treat to others—and to yourself.
- store-bought pizza dough
- canola oil
- 300-g pkg Sobeys' Sensations Charcuterie Trio
- basil leaves , for garnish (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Weigh out 300 g of pizza dough, then roll out on a floured surface to 1/4 in. thick, about 12 × 8 in. Cut into 24 rectangles.
- Pour enough canola oil into a wide pot to reach 1 in. up the sides. Clip a deep-fry thermometer to the side. Heat over medium until temperature reaches 350F. (Adjust heat as necessary to keep temperature at 350F during cooking.)
- Fry dough, a few pieces at a time, until puffed and bottoms are golden, 30 sec to 1 min. Flip, then fry for 30 sec to 1 min more. Transfer fritto to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. (Don’t crowd pan as it brings down the oil temperature and prevents dough from puffing up.)
- Serve on a platter with charcuterie and basil leaves for garnish.