Filipino sour salmon soup (Sinigang)By Chatelaine
Celebrate warm food and sweater weather with a hearty colourful bowl - it's pure comfort on a wintry day.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 small jalapeño , seeded and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 200 g squash or pumpkin , unpeeled cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1 Japanese eggplant , cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 200 g long beans or green beans , trimmed and cut into 2 1/2-in. pieces (2 cups)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes , seeded and coarsely chopped
- 450 g skinless salmon fillet , cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- HEAT oil in a large pot over medium. Add onion and cook until it starts to soften, about 2 min. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook for 1 min. Add water, fish sauce, squash, eggplant and beans. Boil, then reduce heat to medium. Gently boil until squash is almost tender, 7 min. Add tomatoes, salmon and vinegar during the last 2 min of cooking. Serve with steamed rice. Kitchen Tip: Swap in haddock or halibut for salmon.
Mastering the basics: best-ever salmon
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 13 g,
- 13 g,
- 2 g,
- 753 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A