Easy scalloped potatoesBy Chatelaine
1 h 35 min
The perfect scalloped potatoes are rich, creamy and most importantly, easy to whip up. Our recipe for easy scalloped potatoes fit all those criteria.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1/2 cup butter , divided
- 1 large onion , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 kg Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and cut into scant 1/4-in.-thick slices (12 cups)
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan , divided
- 1 cup grated gruyère
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Heat milk and cream in a pot over medium-low.
- HEAT 1 tbsp butter in a large pot over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring until softened, 5 min. Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining butter, then stir in flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 min. Slowly add milk mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring until slightly thickened before adding more liquid.
- STIR in salt and pepper and cook, stirring until thickened. Add potatoes and cook over medium, stirring bottom of pot to prevent browning, until slightly tender, 8 to 10 min.
- SPREAD half of the potato mixture in a 3-L oven-safe dish. Place dish on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the parmesan and top with remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and gruyère. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and continue baking until top is golden and potatoes are tender, 20 min. Let stand for 15 min before serving.
Shortcut scalloped potatoes
[bc_video video_id=”63271377001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 32 g,
- 21 g,
- 3 g,
- 544 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B12