Updated Jan 11, 2018Chatelaine
- POSITION racks in top and bottom thirds of oven, then preheat to 450F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- HEAT oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add panko and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 5 min. Remove from heat and cool.
- PLACE flour in a wide shallow dish. Beat eggs in another wide shallow dish. Combine panko and parmesan in a third wide shallow dish.
- TOSS calamari with 3/4 tsp salt. Coat calamari in flour, in batches, shaking off excess. Dip each piece in egg mixture, then in panko mixture. Arrange on prepared sheets.
- BAKE calamari, switching sheets halfway, until just tender, 8 to 10 min. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
- HEAT marinara sauce in a medium saucepan over medium until hot. Serve calamari with dipping sauce and lemon wedges. Pair with a green salad for a complete meal.
Kitchen Tip: Toasting panko before the coating process is key for golden and crispy calamari.
Kitchen Tip: Dress up the dipping sauce by sautéing 2 cloves of minced garlic in 2 tbsp of olive oil before adding marinara. Add chili flakes to kick it up.
NutritionCalories 267, Protein 21 g, Carbohydrates 19 g, Fat 11 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 993 mg. Excellent source of vitamin B12
Chatelaine Basics: Steam fish en papillote