Chinese-style lemon chickenBy Chatelaine
- 1 kg skinless, boneless chicken thighs , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- vegetable oil , for frying
- 1/2 cup cornstarch , divided
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 lemon , cut into quarters and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced diagonally
- STIR chicken, garlic, soy, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Cover and marinate for 30 min.
- POUR enough oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot to reach 1 in. up the side. Clip a deep-fry thermometer to the side. Heat over medium-high to reach 350F, adjusting heat as needed to maintain temperature. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet and set aside.
- RESERVE 4 tsp cornstarch and place remainder in a bowl. Add chicken and toss until coated. Fry in batches, 8 pieces at a time, until chicken is golden, about 2 min. Drain on rack and repeat.
- WHISK remaining 4 tsp cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and broth in a large saucepan over medium-high, until sauce thickens and boils for 1 min. Stir in chicken and lemon slices until coated.
- PLATE and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
Mastering the basics: Roast chicken
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 27 g,
- 10 g,
- 1 g,
- 658 mg.
- Good source of
- vitamin B6