Updated Apr 7, 2017Chatelaine
skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-in. pieces
garlic cloves, minced
vegetable oil, for frying
sodium-reduced chicken broth
lemon, cut into quarters and thinly sliced
toasted sesame seeds
green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- STIR chicken, garlic, soy, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Cover and marinate for 30 min.
- POUR enough oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot to reach 1 in. up the side. Clip a deep-fry thermometer to the side. Heat over medium-high to reach 350F, adjusting heat as needed to maintain temperature. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet and set aside.
- RESERVE 4 tsp cornstarch and place remainder in a bowl. Add chicken and toss until coated. Fry in batches, 8 pieces at a time, until chicken is golden, about 2 min. Drain on rack and repeat.
- WHISK remaining 4 tsp cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and broth in a large saucepan over medium-high, until sauce thickens and boils for 1 min. Stir in chicken and lemon slices until coated.
- PLATE and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
NutritionCalories 303, Protein 25 g, Carbohydrates 27 g, Fat 10 g, Fibre 1 g, Sodium 658 mg. Good source of vitamin B6
Mastering the basics: Roast chicken