Dec 19, 2018Chatelaine
- POSITION rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 400F. Place a rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
- PLACE flour in a wide shallow bowl. Beat egg with milk and 1/4 tsp salt in another wide shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in a third wide shallow bowl.
- COAT a slice of celeriac in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture, turning to coat all sides. Transfer to bread crumbs and turn to coat well. Place on prepared rack and repeat with remaining slices.
- HEAT 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add 2 or 3 slices of celeriac, without crowding the pan, and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 min per side. Transfer to prepared rack. Scrape out any darkened bread crumbs and repeat with remaining celeriac, adding 1 tbsp more oil for each batch.
- SPRINKLE celeriac with remaining 1/4 tsp salt, then transfer to oven and bake until a paring knife is easily inserted, about 15 min.
- SAUCE: Wipe pan clean and melt butter over medium-low. Add shallot, thyme, salt and a pinch of pepper, and cook until softened, about 2 min. Whisk in broth, lemon juice and Dijon, and bring to a simmer, about 2 min. Serve celeriac drizzled with sauce and sprinkled with parsley.
Kitchen tip: Slicing the last few rounds of celeriac can be challenging. Place on board, flat side down. Cut carefully around width toward centre and slice through to create 1/2-in. thick rounds.
Kitchen tip: For an epic vegetarian sandwich, serve on a toasted ciabatta bun with marinara sauce, roasted peppers, sautéed onions and provolone cheese.
NutritionCalories 272, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 20 g, Fat 21 g, Fibre 3 g, Sodium 592 mg.
Chatelaine Quickies: Buffalo cauliflower