Excerpted from The Campout Cookbook by Marnie Hanel and Jen Stevenson (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2018. Illustrations by Emily Isabella. Used with permission from the publisher.
The Campout Cookbook's roasted garlic parmesan monkey breadBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
- pizza dough , (recipe link below)
- Spicy roasted garlic butter , (recipe link below)
- 2 ounces grated parmesan , preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp hot red chili flakes
In the Backpack
12-inch cast-iron Dutch oven
- Prepare the Perfect Pizza Dough. Reserve half for the monkey bread and half for another use (or a second batch of monkey bread). Prepare the Spicy Roasted Garlic Butter and refrigerate. Combine the Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, and red pepper flakes in a 1-pint Mason jar, shake to mix, and refrigerate.
At the Campout
- Prepare a campfire and, if using, set up the camp stove.
- Melt the Spicy Roasted Garlic Butter in a small saucepan over the campfire or low camp stove heat. Divide the pizza dough into 24 pieces. Roll each piece in the melted butter, then nestle it in an even layer into a 12-inch cast-iron Dutch oven. Pour the remaining butter over the top, put on the lid, and let rise in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dough with the cheese mixture, then replace the lid. Bake at 375°F (9 hot coals under the Dutch oven, 16 on the lid) until cooked through and golden on top, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating both the oven and the lid after 15 minutes to prevent hot spots. Serve warm, of course.