Borscht with beef and beetsBy Chatelaine
Celebrate warm food and sweater weather with a hearty, colourful bowl of borscht — it's pure comfort on a wintry day.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g beef sirloin tip , diced
- 1 1/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 carrots , diced
- 1 large potato , peeled and diced
- 1/2 small head red cabbage , thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 6 cups sodium-reduced beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large beets , peeled and grated (2 cups)
- 3 1/2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped dill , divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- HEAT oil in a large pot over medium-high. Pat beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with ½ tsp salt and pepper, then add to pan. Cook, stirring until no pink remains, 1 to 3 min.
- REDUCE heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, carrots, potato and cabbage. Cook, stirring until vegetables are slightly tender, 5 min. Stir in tomato paste, sugar, coriander and cook 1 min. Add broth and bay leaves. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- SIMMER borscht, covered, until cabbage is very tender, about 15 min. Stir in beets, vinegar and remaining ¾ tsp salt. Continue simmering until beets are tender, 10 min. Let stand, covered, for 5 min. Stir in 3 tbsp dill. Remove and discard bay leaves. Ladle into bowls and serve borscht with a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt and remaining 1 tbsp dill.
Best way to peel beets
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 17 g,
- 4 g,
- 3 g,
- 706 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A