Baked Polenta With Collard ChipsBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
The crunchy collard greens and hearty polenta are perfectly seasoned with a smokey Cajun-inspired spice blend.
- 8 large collard green leaves , (about 100 g), washed and dried well
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 1/4 tsp Cajun-Inspired Spice Blend , divided, (see Kitchen tip for recipe)
- 1/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1/2 398-mL can diced tomatoes , drained
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 1 540-mL can black beans , drained and rinsed
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Spray four 1-cup ramekins with oil.
- Cut out stems from collard green leaves and discard. Tear greens into 2-in. pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Massage 1 tbsp oil into leaves, and then sprinkle with 1/4 tsp spice blend and ⅛ tsp salt. Arrange in a single layer on prepared sheet. Bake until greens are dry and darkened, about 12 min. Transfer to a rack to cool. (They will crisp up as they cool.) Increase oven temperature to 375F.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil and 2 tsp spice blend, and then onion. Cook until onion softens, about 3 min. Stir in tomatoes, broth and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, beans and remaining ⅛ tsp salt until cheese melts. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 min.
- Set prepared ramekins on a baking sheet. Divide mixture among ramekins. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese overtop. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, 8 to 10 min. Serve with collard chips on the side.
Get the Cajun-Inspired Spice Blend recipe.