Originally published in Chatelaine‘s November 2003 issue.
This article has not been rated yet.
2 hrs 15 min
3 cakes, each 8 slices
The rich taste of butter, dried fruit and nuts with almond flavouring will alter most people's idea of traditional fruitcake.
- 6 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups glacé pineapple wedges , about 450 g
- 2 cups cut, mixed citrus peel , or glacé red and green cherries, about 450 g
- 1 to 2 cups blanched slivered almonds , toasted and finely chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 7 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup 10% or 18% cream
- 3 to 4 tbsp brandy , rum or bourbon
- Preheat oven to 275F. Line three 9×5-in. loaf pans (or any baking pans that will hold a total of 18 cups of batter) with foil. To easily make a foil pan, smooth ample pieces of foil over the outside of pans, then drop the shaped foil into the pans. Coat with cooking spray or lightly grease.
- In a very large bowl, stir raisins with pineapple, peel and almonds. Add 1/2 cup flour and toss until fruit is coated. In another bowl, use a fork to stir remaining 2-1/2 cups flour with baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, beat butter with sugar using an electric mixer on medium speed or a wooden spoon. When creamy, after about 3 minutes beating with mixer, add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then, beat in vanilla and almond extract.
- Beat in a third of flour mixture. As soon as it is mixed in, beat in half of the cream. Mix and repeat additions, ending with flour. Using a large rubber spatula, stir in fruit mixture, using a folding motion until evenly distributed. Spoon into prepared pans and smooth tops. Bake in centre of 275F oven until golden and a cake tester or skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out almost clean, about 1-1/2 hours. Cake top should feel firm when lightly pressed. Cool in pans on rack. Turn out cakes and remove foil.
- Saturate cheesecloth with brandy and wrap around cakes. Seal in plastic bags and refrigerate. Check after a week and re-soak cheesecloth if necessary. Cakes will keep well for months.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 41.7 g,
- 7.9 g,