Victoria sponge cake with mascarpone-vanilla creamBy Chatelaine
8 to 10
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs , separated, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 1 250-g pkg smooth mascarpone
- 2 tbsp 35% cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- icing sugar , (optional)
- edible flowers , (optional)
- CAKE: Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350F. Butter bottom and sides of two 8-in. round, non-stick baking pans. Line bottoms with parchment.
- SIFT flour and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- BEAT egg whites with cream of tartar in bowl of a stand mixer on medium until they start to froth, about 1 min. Gradually add ½ cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, 3 to 5 min. Scrape into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- BEAT remaining sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla on high in same unwashed bowl until thick and pale yellow, 1 to 3 min. Fold a third of egg whites into yolk mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until no streaks remain.
- FOLD a quarter of flour mixture into egg mixture, just until no streaks remain. Repeat with remaining flour mixture (don’t over-mix or batter may sink). Divide batter between prepared pans, smoothing the surface.
- BAKE until tops are lightly golden and a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, 18 to 20 min.
- COOL on a rack for 15 min, then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on rack.
- FILLING: Heat Strawberry Freezer Jam in a medium saucepan over medium-high, stirring often, until thickened and reduced by half, 15 to 18 min. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- BEAT mascarpone, cream, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium high, until fluffy, 2 to 3 min.
- TO assemble, place a cake layer on a cake stand. Spread jam to the edges. Top with cream and spread to the edges. Top with remaining cake layer. Sprinkle with icing sugar and or decorate with edible flowers.
Weekend Baking: Chocolate-orange Jaffa cake
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 45 g,
- 24 g,
- 2 g,
- 189 mg.