Vegan Carrot Cake LoafBy Chatelaine
Perfectly spiced and easy to make.
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax meal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , (180 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar , (144 g)
- 3/4 cup grated carrot , (75 g)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 100-g pkg chopped pecans , or walnuts, toasted, plus more for garnish
- crumbled carrot chips , such as Harbite, for garnish (optional)
- 2/3 cup refined coconut oil
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Cake: Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350F. Line an 84-in. loaf pan with parchment, leaving overhang.
- Stir flax with ½ cup water in a large bowl. Set aside 5 min.
- Stir flour with baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir brown sugar, carrot, oil, and vanilla into flax mixture. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in pecans. Scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean, 40 to 45 min. Transfer pan to a rack and cool completely.
- Icing: Beat all ingredients in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until fluffy. Spread over loaf. Top with more chopped pecans and crumbled carrot chips, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 53 g,
- 37 g,
- 2 g,
- 330 mg.