Tip: For creamy, crack-free results: Bake in a water bath, always wrap the pan in foil so none of the water leaks in, and as soon as it’s out of the oven, run a knife around the inside of the pan. Picture perfect every time!
Vanilla bean cheesecake with blueberry compote
1 h 45 min
- 2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 250-g pkgs low-fat cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 250-g pkg pasteurized egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 vanilla beans , or 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
FOR BLUEBERRY COMPOTE
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- lemon zest , from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Insert the base of a 9-in. springform pan lip-side down. Lightly spray with oil, then line with parchment. Wrap pan with 2 large pieces of foil, under bottom and sides, making sure it comes to the top edge.
- STIR graham-cracker crumbs with applesauce in a medium bowl until moist. Press over bottom of prepared pan. Bake in centre of oven until crust is lightly toasted, 7 to 10 min. Cool on a rack. Reduce heat to 325F.
- PURÉE cottage cheese with cream cheese in a food processor until smooth. Add egg and egg whites, 1 1/2 cups sugar and salt. Slice vanilla beans in half lengthwise. Scrape out vanilla seeds and add to cheese mixture. Whirl until combined, scraping down sides as needed. Place foil-wrapped pan in the centre of a shallow-sided roasting pan. Pour cheese mixture over cooled crust. Set in centre of oven. Pour enough hot tap water into roasting pan to come halfway up side of pan.
- BAKE until filling is almost set when spring-form pan is jiggled, 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour 20 min. Transfer roasting pan to a rack. Run a knife around inside of cake pan to help prevent cracking. Let stand until water cools, about 30 min. Remove pan from water. Discard foil. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
- STIR blueberries with lemon zest, juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Gently boil until berries are soft and sauce turns syrupy, 8 to 10 min. Cool and serve with cheesecake.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 36 g,
- 6 g,
- 1 g,
- 358 mg.